To download the full whitepaper on this subject,
please visit youremployeehealth.com/whitepapers.
1. D.H. Howard. 2014. Adverse Effects of Prohibiting Narrow
Provider Networks. New England Journal of Medicine, 371:
591-593. Accessed May 23, 2017 at nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/
2. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2015. Better,
Smarter, Healthier: Delivery System Reform. Accessed May 23,
2017 at healthit.gov/FACAS/sites/faca/files/HITPC_DSR_Pre-
3. R. Daly. 2015. Finding Success in ACA Narrow Networks.
Healthcare Financial Management, 69( 12): 56-60.
4. D. Polsky, Z. Cidav, and A. Swanson. 2016. Marketplace Plans
with Narrow Physician Networks Feature Lower Premiums
than Plans with Larger Networks. Health Affairs, 35( 10):
5. A. Atwood, L. Sasso, and T. Anthony. 2016. The Effect of
Narrow Provider Networks on Health Care Use. Journal of
Health Economics, 50: 86–98.
6. J. Gruber and R. McKnight. 2016. Controlling Health Care
Costs through Limited Network Insurance Plans: Evidence
from Massachusetts State Employees. American Economic
Journal: Economic Policy, 8( 2): 219-250.
7. D.M. Cutler, M. McClellan, and J.P. Newhouse. 2000. How
Does Managed Care Do It? RAND Journal of Economics,
31( 3): 526–548.
8. B. Eggbeer et. al. 2016. Employer-Led Innovations for Healthcare Delivery and Payment Reforms. Healthcare Financial
9. C.C. Carlin, B. Dowd, and L. Higuera. 2016. The Impact of
Narrow Provider Networks on Patterns of Care. Journal of
Patient-Centered Research and Review, 3: 208. Accessed May
23, 2017 at digitalrepository.aurorahealthcare.org/jpcrr/vol3/
10. All-Star Manufacturing is a pseudonym to protect the financial
propriety of the featured organization.
11. Final implementation of the plan was effective July 2016, so
clear data is unavailable through December.
12. Health Affairs. 2016. Health Policy Brief: Network Adequacy,
July 28, 2016.
13. A. Ehlert and D. Oberschachtsiek. 2014. Does Managed Care
Reduce Health Care Expenditure? Evidence from Spatial
Panel Data. International Journal of Health Care Finance and
Economincs, 14: 207.
14. Health Affairs. 2016. Op cit.
Eric Riley is chief administrative officer, and Heath
Abney is population health intern at Lexington Clinic.